Saturday, January 5, 2013

My youngest daughter (6 yrs old) said to me this morning, "Mommy, I want you to be "normal"!" I asked her what did she mean by that....she said, I don't want you to have to wear hearing aids or get an implant. In my own thoughts, I wondered--should I be "sad" about her saying that or should I embrace it and say, "I AM NORMAL!!!"

Definition of "normal"--The usual, average, or typical state or condition.

Yes, I am normal just like my family members, friends, coworkers, and students. My disability does NOT define who I am...I am a loving, motivated, enthusiastic Mom, wife, teacher, runner, and friend to many and my disability does NOT STOP me. Yes, I have a disability but it doesn't "DISABLE" me to run, listen to music, communicate with others...you take that DISABILITY OF YOURS and you find ALTERNATIVE WAYS to accomplish your goals! Don't let anyone tell you that you aren't any good...everyday, my young daughters say hello to my students (who are identified deaf/hard of hearing). They take the time to stop and wave to them in the hallways at school and even talk with them for a few minutes. I teach my daughters to be patient with others and perhaps explain students' disabilities so they can understand and not have a negative attitude towards others.

Yesterday afternoon at our school we had a "PARTY ROCK" for all the students (grades 2nd-5th) if they had positive behavior in their classroom. So of course, my girls did well and were invited to attend the party--lots of music and dancing. My oldest daughter (8 years old) and her little friends came rushing up to me in the gym and we all started dancing. Then my daughter saw one of my students standing there and told her to come join us in dancing and SHE DID!! That's kindness and that's showing you care about somebody and that's NORMAL!

Everyone is NORMAL....no one is PERFECT...we all have a disability, its how you overcome and share the joys with others that makes you PERFECT & NORMAL as who you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment